Monday, March 12, 2012

Delicious Biscuits


Limited supplies at the stores and incorrect ingredients led to these delicious biscuits! I love Target but they don't have much in the way for various GF flours, or really anything GF. The local grocery store was also lacking in their gluten free selection. I refused to visit a third location for ingredients. I started this process intending to make cornbread then realized I had corn starch and not corn meal. I stumbled upon this recipe online and an hour later was happy that I didn't have the correct ingredients for the original recipe.


(I've said this before and am saying it again as a disclaimer, I don't exactly follow directions well. Baking GF usually requires additional ingredients and steps. I moderately followed the original directions for these biscuits and they still turned out great!)




For one, I couldn't find soy or sorghum flour. Instead, I used 2 cups brown rice flour. Second, I only use Smart Balance Light butter (because it's dairy-free) and didn't have it in a stick so estimated 8 tbsp. Third, I didn't have a box grater and tried to cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a spoon. Lastly, I used the old fashioned method to mix everything together with a wooden spoon. The dough yielded at least 15 biscuits and I also even made a small cinnamon sugar roll because I didn't think I would eat that many biscuits. I melted 2 tbsp butter, added 2 tbsp sugar and cinnamon and added the concoction to flattened out dough before rolling it up. It was also very delicious!


Ingredients: (from Gluten Free Cooking School)



1 1/2 c. brown rice flour
2 c. corn starch*
1/2 c. soy flour or sorghum flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. xanthan gum

1 stick of butter* (chilled in the freezer)
1 1/4 c. soy milk* (I used almond milk)
1 1/4 c. water
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar*
1 egg, beaten (or the equivalent amount of your favorite egg replacement)


Recipe
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl thoroughly combine the flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and xanthan gum.
3. Grate the butter into the flour using the small holed side of a box grater. Mix the butter into the flour so that there are no large balls of grated butter.
4. Add the soy milk, water, vinegar and beaten egg to the flour and stir until the dry and liquid ingredients are combined.
5. Using a large spoon, drop the dough onto a greased pan to make 16 biscuits. Cook at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment