Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Avoiding Sneaky Gluten- Chex Mix

Homemade Chex Mix is a delicious and easy GF snack that most people enjoy. It's my go-to snack to bring to tailgates, weekend trips and even to work. I prefer salty over sweet, especially because there is usually crushed red pepper involved.


Chex Cereal offers a large list of recipes, even a lot of GF options. I have followed a few but recently have adopted my own. It's easier, faster and more specific to what I like. It's also easily adaptable to add gluten items such as pretzels and cheez-its, I usually make a few batches of each GF and gluten filled.

I tend to use the microwave to prepare it, I don't have the patience for the baking option. The first time I made Chex Mix I baked it and I can't tell a difference between the two cooking options. Using the microwave to prepare it takes less time and allows me to add more seasoning if I need to.

I use a small mixing bowl and the largest bowl or tupperware container I have appropriate for my microwave. In the small bowl, I mix about 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, cumin and a few splashes of hot sauce. Sometimes I'll add a few splashes of worcestershire sauce. The amount of hot sauce and red pepper flakes depends on the crowd that will be eating this particular batch.

I've found that layering each ingredient helps to ensure equal covering of the seasoning. I usually start with the cereal and lay down a layer in the bowl/tupperware and drizzle a portion of the seasoning mix throughout, mix with a large spoon, and then repeat with additional layers. My order of sequence is usually cereal, pop-corn and then nuts. I do the nuts last because they usually end up at the bottom.

I use rice or corn cereal, I don't have a preference, and fresh popped pop-corn. It's hard to find store bought pop-corn without butter. Fresh popped cuts down the calories and preservatives.  I also use a store bought mix of peanuts, almonds, cashews and brazilian nuts. It's easier to buy one thing and allow for a variety of nuts versus just having peanuts, almonds, etc or having to buy multiple kinds of nuts (which can get expensive).

Once all the ingredients are in the bowl and the seasoning is mixed in, I microwave it for a minute at a time. I repeat this about 3-4 times, mixing in between. I'll check to make sure the seasoning appears to be equally coated and mixed throughout, if not then I add more to it. Allow the Chex Mix to cool for a few hours, maybe sample a few pieces to make sure there is enough garlic and spice, and then enjoy!

Ingredients:
- 4 cups Chex Mix
- 3 cups popped pop-corn
- Nuts
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Seasoning: red pepper flakes, garlic powder, cumin
- Few splashes hot sauce
- Few splashes worcestershire sauce (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment